Sunday, October 4, 2009

Al Maha Resort - Dubai, UAE



This past Friday was a holiday in India (Gandhi's birthday) -- so I decided to take advantage of the long weekend and go on a trip to a desert resort in the UAE (United Arab Emirates). Fly in/out of Dubai -- only a 3.5 hour flight. Stayed at the Al Maha Resort about 1 hour south of Dubai. The Al Maha was an amazing place to stay -- it's part of a wildlife reserve and only guests of the hotel are allowed in the reserve. The accommodations are freestanding "tent" suites with private pools. The suites are spread out across the resort and set-up in a way that they are completely private -- when you are on the deck overlooking the desert with the Hajar Mountains in the distance -- you feel like you are the only one at the resort -- wonderful escape from the hustle and bustle of Bangalore.

The meals at the resort were inclusive -- and absolutely wonderful! I had some amazing lobster and steak (for the first time in 3 months). Excellent selection of fruits and salads also. Additionally dates, figs, apricots and nuts were always out for snacking.

The activities were inclusive as well -- I did as many activities as I could on Saturday plus a couple of spa treatment. On Friday I didn't do much except hang out at my pool and read (and I did get an amazing hot stone massage on Friday night).

I used Continental points to fly to Dubai on Emirates Airlines in business class. Emirates provides free limo service to/from the airport when you fly business (or first) class -- was picked up in Bangalore in a Mercedes --- great way to start the trip!

Next trip: In 2 weeks to Yercaud, a hill station in the Eastern Ghats (Tamil Nadu) -- about a 4 hour car drive from Bangalore.

No comments:

Post a Comment