Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bali - Tropical Fruit






It's my last weekend in Bangalore. The last couple of weeks have been a whir -- unplanned trip to Boston for 1 week and then up to Calgary for a couple of days. I flew back to Bangalore on July 30, in town for 23 hours, and then back on a plane to fly to Bali for a short vacation. I was only in Bali for 4 days -- I do wish I had spent a lot more time, it's a beautiful island with lots to see and do.

One of my favorite parts of the trip was the food -- especially the tropical fruit.

5 fruits that I had for the first time:
  • Rambutan - Related to the Lychee. It's the red, spiky-looking fruit in the pictures above. In the cut fruit picture, it's the fruit at 7 o'clock. Delicious - tastes like a lychee, or a big sweet grape.
  • Longan - Related to the Lychee / Rambutan. Very good - sweet and juicy.
  • Mangosteen - Weird looking fruit (first picture above) and in the cut fruit picture, it's the fruit at 10 o'clock. Mangosteen is one of Bali's favorite fruits and I gather rather expensive. Very delicious - best described as "a tropical fruit explosion in your mouth!"
  • Snake Fruit (Salak) - The fruit skin (picture above) looks like a snake - hence the name. In the cut fruit picture, it's the fruit at 6 o'clock. Quite good -- texture like an apple, sweet and tart at the same time.
  • Passion Fruit - It's in the cut fruit picture, orange-skinned fruit with a pulpy seed middle. I've had passion fruit juice before, but have never eaten the fruit -- while I liked the taste, the texture was rather gross -- so had to smush it up and eat with the other fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment