Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bangalore Registration - Part 1

Went to the Office of the Police Commissioner today to start the process for my registration card (or maybe it's a registration paper?!?) -- I'll need that going forward to ensure that I can get back into India. What a process - it's nice to see that bureaucracy is the same the world over. Lots of paperwork to submit -- fortunately only 2 forms to fill in and the rest just copies of my passport (every page), my assignment letter, financial guarantee from my company (I guess they are responsible for any debt that I leave behind!), and some other letters from my company. I'm lucky that someone from my company went with me -- I'm not sure if I would have figured out exactly what I needed to do. There were 3 different lines in 2 different buildings to stand in: (1) pre-verification of your forms and paperwork, (2) signature on step #1, (3) drop off of signed paperwork --- with a wait to get a piece of paper that I'll use tomorrow when I have to go back to claim the actual registration card. Including travel time, the process took about 2 hours -- fun way to spend an afternoon! I really wish I could have taken a picture of the office workers processing the paperwork -- all done by hand -- no computers --- quite the sight!

This evening I went to a TGIF with some co-workers. Interesting to go to such an american restaurant in India. Poor waiters had to wear the same goofy outfits (with flair, of course!) as they do in the states. And the food was about as equally bad -- fortunately there isn't much they can do wrong with bottles of beer.

1 comment:

  1. You are wrong there--nothing worse than warm beer--but I assume that was not the case?

    ReplyDelete