

One of the highlights of our stay at Coconut Lagoon was the ayurvedic massage. It's the 3rd time that I've received one of these massages -- so I knew what I was in for -- I think my friends were a bit surprised, nothing like a massage you would get in the States.
The masseuses are always the same sex -- women for women and men for men -- and there are usually two of them. Modesty isn't really a concept in India when you are getting a massage -- when you walk into the therapy room, they'll ask you to take off all of your clothes right in front of them. They do put a loin cloth thing on you -- but it's for hygienic reasons only.
This massage started off with 10 minutes sitting on a bench while they do a head, neck and shoulder massage. Then it was on the table for 40 minutes while they did a full body massage with lots of oil. After that it was 10 minutes of steam bath and then off to the shower. The shower is kind of funny -- the masseuses actually shower you off (first rubbing you down with some grainy mud stuff to help get all the oil off of your body and then rinsing you off with water). I have to admit that when they started toweling me off that I told them that I could handle that myself and they could leave the room.
Overall a wonderful experience and the affects lasts for days!
note: the steam chamber was kind of funky -- never been in one of those before -- did like it though.
No comments:
Post a Comment