Saturday, July 3, 2010

Dinner in Pune


Some people have "complained" that I never blog about the food that I eat. So in my final weeks here, I'll post some food pictures. Thursday night I was in Pune (work meetings on Friday in our office in that city) -- went to dinner with a co-worker at the veg restaurant in the hotel.

Worst food ever -- I had Paneer Chili (the plate in the front of the picture). This is actually the first time in India that I've had a bad paneer dish --- Mattar Paneer (with peas) and Palak Paneer (with spinach) are two of my favorite dishes so I eat it fairly often.

Note: Paneer is a type of soft cheese native to India. It's often called cottage cheese here although it's not really like cottage cheese you would get in the States. It's pretty much the only cheese native to India --- it's kind of like tofu in that it has a mild flavor and used here in a very similar fashion. It's also one of the few cheeses that isn't made with rennet -- so it's safe for vegetarians to eat.

My co-worker had Channa Bhatura. Channa is an Indian chickpea curry. Chickpeas are high in protein and are a staple in the veg Indian diet. Bhatura is a soft / fluffy North Indian fried bread. The bhatura was huge -- but it was crunchy when it's supposed to be soft.

The manager comped us the dinner because we told him it wasn't very good -- and also gave us hot-fudge sundaes on the house.

4 comments:

  1. How were the hot-fuge sundaes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How were the hot-fuge sundaes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the bread looks attractive--even though it was crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hot-fudge sundaes were small -- but good.

    The bread did look very nice --- but very hard to tear with one hand because of texture issues.

    ReplyDelete