Sunday, November 8, 2009

Link to The Hindu interview with me about being an ex-pat in Bangalore (October 31, 2009)

The journalist took a bit of poetic license with my answers (click on the link below to see the actual article) ...

A journey of understanding

India has offered American Patricia Carlin many avenues to discover, both at work and on the personal front

The only thing Patricia Carlin misses in Bangalore is driving her own car in the city. “I am used to driving on the other side of the road and dealing with massive traffic. It can be quite a wild experience. I can get most of the items that I get back home in market places across the city, so I do not miss anything else in particular,” says American Patricia Carlin, General Manager of Thoughtworks, an IT consultancy firm.

Before taking up a job in India in July this year, Patricia had vacationed in India many times. She says: “I always enjoyed my trips to India. I was in love with the vibrancy, the diversity that set this country apart from others. When I was offered the job, I decided to take it up immediately.” But there was some apprehension.

“I was a bit worried about the reception I would get, whether I would be able to manage a team with more than 250 people. However, I felt at home once I joined and have enjoyed the experience a great deal.”

Patricia feels that India has been a great learning experience for her, both at a professional and personal level. “I have learnt a lot from my colleagues. It has been very different from my job in the US. The workplace is younger, vibrant and great fun.”

She has also become a fan of Indian food does not mind spicy food. “I enjoy eating spicy food a lot. Indian cuisine is one of my personal favourites.”

“On the personal front, I feel that I have begun to understand more about the many diverse cultures of the country. I have travelled across the country on vacation and work. I make frequent trips to nearby hill stations. Travelling has provided me a greater idea about the vibrancy and cultural diversity of the country.”

She enjoys the temperate climate that Bangalore offers. “You cannot possibly complain about the weather in this city. It provides you the wind, ample sunlight and a chill in the evenings. It is quite beautiful. Commuting is the only hassle one faces here. I feel that once the public transportation issues are sorted out, it will improve a great deal.”

NIKHIL VARMA

2 comments: