Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mangoes


One of the best things about being in India during the summer months is that mangoes are in season.

Mangoes have been around for at least 4,000 years and are considered a symbol of life in India. There are 100s of varieties of mangoes here in India -- and they vary based on location.

I can't say that I ever bought a mango before this year -- but now mango shopping is one of my favorite weekend activities.

Summer is almost over in India -- the monsoons will start soon and then that will be it for the mangoes -- so trying to enjoy them while I can!

The mango tree in the pictures was on the grounds of the Nadesar Palace hotel that I stayed at in Varanasi. The hotel left a couple of mangoes in my room each day -- they were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment