Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Varanasi: Nadesar Palace Hotel


I stayed at the Nadesar Palace Hotel in Varanasi.  Built by the East India Company in the late 1700s to house officers stationed in Varanasi, the palace was bought by the Maharaja Prabhu Narayan Singh in the late 19th century to offer sumptuous accommodations to visiting dignitaries.

The palace has been carefully restored by the Taj Hotel chain to offer 10 rooms and suites -- original artwork is hung throughout the hotel.  Rooms are embellished with original pieces of furniture refurbished to recreate the atmosphere of a bygone era.
It's off-season in India right now (April / May are the summer months -- and it's very hot).  Hotel rooms are up to 50% off right now -- so great time to travel if you can stand the heat.  Although the hotel staff told me that 2 other rooms in the hotel were occupied, I never saw another guest -- kind of cool, felt like I had the hotel to myself.

The hotel has only been open for 2 years --- the grounds definitely need some more work -- I'm sure in a couple of more years it will be absolutely gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment