Sunday, August 16, 2009

Transportation

Auto rickshaws (autos) are my main method of transport for short trips around Bangalore. There are taxis, but it can take 15-20 minutes to get one (you have to call for a taxi -- can't hail them on the road) and there are times when there aren't any available. There are also a lot of buses in Bangalore -- haven't quite figured them out yet.

Pros:
  • Plentiful (unless it's raining)
  • You can hail them on the road
  • They are metered and inexpensive (Rs. 14 base charge - covers up to 2km, Rs. 7 for each kilometer after that; 50% surcharge after 10pm).
  • At railway stations, you can get a prepaid auto for a Rs. 1 surcharge. Well worth it, especially if you get into the station late at night.
Cons:
  • Although supposedly illegal, an auto driver can turn you down -- depends on whether or not they want to go where you want to go (I guess because of the amount of traffic -- there is no charge for standing time)
  • Some refuse to use their meters -- again, this is supposedly illegal -- but it happens all of the time. Sometimes you have to go with it --- and haggle on a price; I'll only do it when I know roughly how much it should cost to get where I want to go.
  • If you are in a auto and it is raining -- you are going to get wet. Sometimes they have protective covers that drop to protect you from the elements -- but most often they don't.
  • In busy shopping areas, they often try to convince you to make 1 stop at a "friend's" or "family" store. They will often drop the price to Rs. 20 or even to 0. I refuse on principle -- I have learned that I have to verify that they are not going to stop anywhere -- and if they don't say no -- then out of the auto I go.
  • At busy intersections, there are often people selling stuff on the road or beggars -- and they come right up to the auto -- and since autos don't have doors, you can't just roll-up the window! The street vendors usually go away once you shake your head "no" -- the beggars on the other hand can be very annoying -- they are very persistent and usually the rickshaw driver has to yell at them to go away. Never feel unsafe, just uncomfortable.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment