Two weeks ago, I had a pedicure at the Leela Palace spa. The Leela Palace is a 5-star hotel right down the street from the Diamond District. The pedicure there was well done -- but somewhat uncomfortable -- you rest your feet on the therapists knees (draped with a towel). Price was also on the high side -- Rs. 1000 ($20) -- which is less than 1/2 of what I typically pay in the States for a pedicure at a nice spa/salon -- but the same as I would have paid for a pedicure at a run of the mill nail salon in NJ.
This afternoon I decided to try out a spa / salon recommended by a co-worker (Rixt -- Dutch -- has lived in Bangalore for the past 4 years). So after Commercial Street, I took an autorick to the Bodycraft Spa & Salon. It's located off of 100 Ft. Rd --- about 1 mile from the Diamond District.
The salon is very nice -- went up to the roof-top lounge for my pedicure -- beautiful breeze, very relaxing. So they did the pedicure the same was as at the Leela --- feet resting on the therapist's knees -- but at Bodycraft it was a lot more comfortable -- I think because of the height angle of the chair. Also had a head massage there -- so good!
The roof-top area was empty when I first got there. A man came up for a head massage soon after I arrived -- sat right next to me --- although all of the other chairs were empty -- personal space isn't really a well-defined concept in a country of 1.2 billion people. Soon after though, all 6 chairs were occupied -- interestingly enough all with men (except for me). Most of the men were there for pedicures / manicures (sans nail polish) --- found that really interesting. Price for pedicure and 30-minutes head/neck/shoulder massage -- Rs. 900. I think I found my pedicure haven! (next challenge -- find some place to get my hair cut / colored)
Walked back to the Diamond District -- ran into some TWers outside of TGIF and joined them for a beer. All together a pleasant way to spend a Sunday.
No comments:
Post a Comment